Sunday 18 December 2011

The Punisher #6 Review

The Punisher is losing his touch...


Last month's issue of Punisher left me disappointed. It was lacking in everything! It just didn't feel like The Punisher. And while this issue does a little better, it's still not up to scratch.

This issue sees Marine Sergeant Rachel Cole-Alves start her war against the Exchange. The people responsible for killing her husband, friends and family on her wedding day. I was looking forward to seeing this happen, but left a little disappointed. Maybe this was because the story seems to be losing its way a bit. Maybe its because the art has changed for the worse. I don't know, but it's something.

Speaking of the art, I have to say that there's a new artist working on Punisher and I am not impressed. Matthew Southworth and Matthew Clark just cannot match the beautiful work of Marco Checchetto - and to be honest my enjoyment of the issue was effected by this.
I just hope Checchetto returns for #7.

Thankfully though, the writing remains strong - but it is weakening due to the misdirection of the story. I don't know where Greg Rucka is taking this book and I'm not sure if he knows either.

But, the increased amount of action does make The Punisher #6 exciting to read - even if the story feels as if it's deteriorating a little. The art is okay, but just isn't as good as previous artist, Marco Checchetto, but the script manages to stay strong in the middle of all of this. I really hope Greg Rucka can put this series back on track as its gone from my favourite book, to a bit of a chore.
What won't help is that next month looks to be a month off from of this story...how annoying.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment